Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Critical Thinking Son

I think this mom is 100% correct. Children now a days don’t have all of their; independent thinking, patience, privacy, art of conversation, or a sense of living in the moment. I know personally this is the way I feel things are moving with my generation and younger. I tend to keep an open mind when it comes to social media. I use it to find reviews on products, so I don’t end up buying a defective product. I do ask people opinions on whether they like something, but it is usually after I purchase that something. I understand the patience part, everything is so fast now, we don’t really rely on mail, if we have a question it can be answered just about instantly online. I am already not such a patient person, but I understand that is more occurring now in recent generations. Privacy is also an issue now too because if I meet someone I can just go online, look up their name, and voila I can find out a lot about them without even talking to them. I understand I have set aside my curtain of privacy when I created a Facebook, but anyone can clean their site up and shed a little of the curtain on themselves. Children now a days just don’t seem to understand that anyone can find out lots of information about them just by searching the internet. The art of conversation has also been compromised. I know when I enter a room of strangers and sit down, the first thing I do is grab my cell phone, and keep myself preoccupied. It is a rarity that people will start to talk amongst themselves. I sometimes find myself on my phone in a group of people I know, and realize I have not been paying attention to the conversation. I feel like conversation is now growing dismal unless it is over text, or social media. Last but not least is living in the moment. I know I can relate to the article when it comes to that. Whenever I get something new I tend to post it on instagram to share it with everyone, without even savoring it for myself. Even when people are out to eat, the first thing they do is take a picture of their food and post it online.
            As a teacher all of this makes sense. For most of this article it means students are on their phone. And by having them in the classroom, its inevitable that students are going to be on them. So why not incorporate them into the class room, and teach etiquette that is now being lost; as shown in the article.

No comments:

Post a Comment